Our aim is to train doctors of international standards who have good understanding of the general health problems of Turkey, who have necessary knowledge to overcome these problems, who follow the ethical rules of the holy profession of medicine, who are investigating and questioning, who are willing to follow and implement the latest developments in medicine, who have effective and healthy communication skills in all fields of the profession, who can work and perform leadership in the health institutions of various levels, and who are sensitive to the problems of community.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES of UNDERGRADUATE EDUCATION
- to count the normal structure and functions of the body as a whole and the organ systems that makes it.
- to know the cellular, biochemical and molecular mechanisms in the human organism.
- to analyze the genetic, developmental, metabolic, toxic, microbiological, autoimmune, neoplastic, degenerative, traumatic and environmental causes and mechanisms of diseases.
- to identify the changes that the diseases create on tissue and organ systems.
- to count and interpret clinical, laboratory, radiological and pathologic findings of common, disabling and/or death-causing diseases.
- to choose evidence-based, highly effective methods in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
- to be aware of life-threatening diseases that require urgent intervention and to evaluate and direct the first treatment options.
- to interpret critical thinking methods in order to solve case based problems.
- to explain the psychological, social, cultural and economic factors that have negative effects on human health.
- to explain appropriate and effective communication steps with his colleagues and other health personnel, especially with patients and their relatives.
- to explain the ethical concepts and principles of the art of medicine and to interpret ethical issues.
- to evaluate the legal rules of medical practice and patient rights.
- to describe the presentation, organization and financing of health services.
- to evaluate the general health problems of the Republic of Turkey.
- to take a thorough and reliable medical history.
- to perform a thorough and detailed physical examination.
- to apply the basic diagnostic methods necessary for diagnosing the disease.
- to apply the basic laboratory tests used in the primary care (e.g. peripheral spread, full urine examination etc.)
- to apply the basic professional skills (such as taking blood, opening the vein route)
- to plan and implement effective, safe, suitable and affordable treatments for patients.
- to actively follow up the ways of accessing information to respond to the scientific and technological developments, changes in professional practices, and to the community needs.
- to establish a proper and effective communication with patients, relatives and all health personnel.
- to take necessary precautions to protect themselves and the health personnel working with them against occupational diseases.
- to plan, conduct and report researches on community health.
- to apply basic life support when necessary.
- to embrace the fact that the primary duty of a physician is to protect human life and health by taking preventive measures for diseases and by trying to treat diseases by using appropriate and rational treatment options.
- when practicing the profession, to observe the principle of universal medical ethics: "do not harm first".
- to be aware of the importance of to complying with the basic rules of health economics in the use of health resources and observing the ethical rules in communication with health-related sectors.
- to embrace the value of scientific thinking and critical inquiry in the field of medicine and in practice.
- to embrace the importance of updating professional knowledge throughout medical career.
- to have the responsibility of first aid in emergency situations as a doctor.
- to evaluate each patient according to their environment, society and individual characteristics.
- to understand the fact that it is an ethical obligation to approach patients and their relatives without bias and judgment.
- to be aware of the importance of giving clear information and obtaining written consent to and from each patient and/or relatives when necessary about the diagnosis and treatment of the illness.
- to realize the respect to universal patient rights, in particular the principle of confidentiality.
- to embrace the value of a healthy, effective and empathic communication with the patient on the treatment success and professional satisfaction.
- to create a model of a compassionate, honest and trustworthy doctor within the community.
- to be aware of the personal rights of themselves and colleagues and to protect themselves from the dishonest and unjust assaults by embracing the professional importance of advocating these rights.
- to be aware of legal and professional responsibilities and obligations with regard to judicial cases.
- to adopt the principles of rational drug use.
- to accept scientific, technical and ethical consultation as a doctor and patient right.
- to know ethical concepts and principles of the art of medicine and be able to decide on the ethical problems that can occur in every period of life from birth to death.
- to be able to cope with the fact of death and the problems it creates.
- to be aware of the importance of communicating in an honest and consistent manner with colleagues, patients and other individuals during professional life.
- to be sensitive to public health problems and be aware of preventive medicine practices.
- to grasp the importance of lifelong and self-learning.
RESEARCH GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE GAZİ UNIVERSITY FACULTY OF MEDICINE
- Planning and implementation of researches and projects in the field of medicine, sharing the results and developing new research methods,
- Understanding and observing research ethics principles and codes
- Reporting of research results (thesis report, article) and presentation (poster, oral presentation)
- Understanding and evaluating research methods and techniques and using them appropriately
- Designing, executing and finalizing national and institutional projects related to medicine
- Development, evaluation and dissemination of models, methods and techniques related to patient evaluation
- Understanding the approach of evidence-based medical education, understanding the principles, critically evaluating the literature and reflecting it on education practices
- Creating (planning, development), executing and finalizing appropriate research designs in the field of medicine
- Participating in research and projects at national and institutional levels to evaluate and improve medicine and health policies
- Processing, interpreting and evaluating data, and making statistical analysis of data
SERVICE GOALS AND OBJECTIVES OF GAZİ UNIVERSITY FACULTY OF MEDICINE
Our aim is to provide health services to the public and to the health-promoting, preventive, therapeutic and rehabilitative individuals in a manner to contribute to the education of our students in line with current approaches through medical education given by our education, research and practice hospital other than the education and research works of our faculty.